On September 9, 2014, Apple finally revealed their latest products and technophiles were looking forward to the latest iPhone models; the iPhone 6 and its twin iPhone 6 Plus. These two new products were subject of speculation for the past few months. The rumours were finally answered and the audience were not disappointed. The official release of new generation of gadgets from Apple is a dream come true for their loyal customers who have been waiting for large screen iPhones.
Vital Features You Need to Know
Screen Size and Image Quality
Definitely, these are larger than predecessors, the iPhone 5 or even the 5s. The iPhone 6 has a screen size of 4.7 inch with a resolution of 1334×750 which Apple describes as Retina HD. It simply means that resolution is very impressive at more than 720p HD that will make pixels out of sight from the naked eye. Now, if you want to be more impressed; the iPhone 6 Plus is for you; plus means power features. Its screen size dwarfs even the iPhone 6 at 5.5 inches. It is touch screen, features full HD, and with higher pixels per inch (ppi). The screening of videos, games, images, and apps has never been this more detailed.
Both iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are embedded with the latest A8 microprocessor that has a 50% more power saving than the previous chips. These also have bigger batteries, making listeners able to play non-stop music for 50 hours, with the iPhone 6 Plus surviving for 80 hours. Talking time will last for 14 hours with the iPhone 6 and 24 hours for the iPhone 6 Plus.
These two are not only big in size and processing power, the storage options are even bigger, coming up at 128 GB for both iPhone 6 models. That is twice the size of its predecessor. Some interesting features such as:
- Correct reading of battery meter. No more guessing if power is still up or nearly down.
- User style detection. Instead of suggesting incomprehensible words, it will suggest words users frequently use.
- Active action on notification. You do not have to close one browser to go to an app and respond to incoming messages.
- More interactive music playing. Auto song identification.
- Universal remote. You do not need to buy a separate remote to synchronise and activate electronic gadgets at home like the Apple TV, Xbox, and a Mac computer.
Cash less society has become another tool to make it convenient for users to shop without bringing credit cards and extra cash. Both new iPhone models can be used as a payment device as they have near field communication sticker (NFC) that allows two devices to communicate with each other wirelessly, provided that both are within right proximity. Just simply load your credit card details into the Apple Pay app. Once you buy something, just select Apple Pay. Authentication is done through finger scanning which is located at the Home Button in both devices.
As of this time, it is estimated that pre-selling of iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus will reach 80 million units. There is a lot of pent up demand from existing Apple customers that are waiting for these new generation devices. read more…
Listening to music is one of the most entertaining indulgences that you can do when using your iPhone, iPad, and iPod. But in many cases, you need additional speakers to enjoy music stored in your devices as there are songs that sound better to listen with speakers on. But plugs, cords, and wires make it frustrating to use sometimes. Hence, a wireless speaker is the most convenient audio device that you can own.
There are several models and brands so choosing one is really a mental exercise while considering budget planning and of course personal preference factor. There are a number of aspects to consider when selecting the best wireless speaker, such as price, functionality, design, performance, and size. Some prefer one factor over the other and others take note of all factors when deciding. To help you out, here are 7 of the best wireless speakers for iOS devices:
Logitech Mini Boom Box TS500BK Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
It’s a small but powerful wonder. It might be expensive considering its size, however, you can carry this speaker anywhere you go and can easily slide it inside your bag without occupying too much space.
View Quest Hepburn Radio
If you love a retro design, this one is for you. It is not only a Bluetooth wireless speaker but also a radio in one. Thus, when you get bored with your playlist, you can check radio stations and find new songs for your iOS music player.
This company is one of the most reputable brands in terms of audio products. If you prefer a powerful stereo performance at a right size, this is a good suggestion. It has a rechargeable battery and LED light guide to make it easy for you to choose and play songs. You can never go wrong with JBL products.
Bose Sound Link Bluetooth Speaker
It’s a multi-connection wonder as it can store six devices so you can easily connect not only your iOS gadgets but also other devices that have Bluetooth connection. With a powerful range of 30 feet receiving range, you won’t have any problem carrying your main device when you move from one corner to the other.
Pioneer FreeMe XWLF3
It’s another excellent choice coming from an added reliable brand in terms of audio products. It has a compact size with powerful audio performance that roughly compares with mini-components but with a low wattage capacity. It has quick pairing feature and 7 hour playtime performance. It is lightweight so you can carry it anywhere and anytime.
It comes with a stylish design that provides powerful audio performance despite its size. It has a rechargeable battery and is speaker phone capable. Carrying case is included, thus, you won’t have to force its way, making it a breeze to pack it inside your bag and backpacks. The price might turnoff some people though.
Jawbone Big Jambox
If size is your preference, this wireless speaker is quite bigger compared with other related products. However, its size is complemented with distortion less strong audio output. In addition, battery life is longer when compared with other brands.
There you go! The 7 best wireless speakers for your iPhone, iPad, and iPod!
Why do you need to do it yourself when your iPhone, iPod, or iPad crashes? Isn’t it risky? These are just some simple questions that users want answers for.
There are several benefits when you can fix iOS gadgets without the help of technicians or manufacturer service centers. First, it can mean a lot of savings for you. It is quite expensive especially when you send your gadget for repair to the manufacturer. Second, it can avoid you being dependent or at the mercy of others each time you have problems with your gadgets when it is only as simple as crashes. Third, it can become a possible income generating activity for you when you have acquired skills including repairing iOS gadgets.
One of the most common issues with iOS gadgets is crashes. It cannot be helped that the frequency of facing this issue is sometimes very often. It is frustrating indeed that after spending so much money to repair it, the problem reappears. Sometimes, the solution needs more than rebooting and uninstalling apps. Thus, acquiring knowledge and skills on crash repairs is important. But before you start attempting DIY repairs, here are 5 conditions you need to meet:
- First, you have to check if your unit is out of warranty or you have already fulfilled all lock in conditions with your provider in order to self repair the gadget. You do not want to at risk your iPhone, iPod, or iPad when warranty is voided. Remember that you still have several benefits if warranty is valid such as free check-up and free repairs on some issues.
- Of course, you have to study this skill either by going to trade or technical schools or reading on available materials if you have electronic background. Being able to handle all sorts of problems with regards to iOS gadgets and being successful with it takes a lot of practice and of course extra units for you to tinker.
- Focus your learning on Apple technology as there are plenty of alert systems that are embedded in their products. For example, backing up files through iTunes may require some numbers from the unit which need to be inputted before you can proceed with repairs.
- You have to have all materials, equipment, and tools necessary for repair. Your repair kit must include the following: Electronic Safety Device (ESD), Spudger, Screwdrivers, Opening Tools for Plastic, Heat or Drying Gun, Magnetizer and Demagnitizer, Tools for Pick Up, Lamp with Magnifying Glass, and Magnetic Mat.
- You also need industry certification if you want to make a career out of this acquired skill. You need to offer your potential clients the confidence that you are skilful when it comes to iOS repairs including getting Apple certification or any other relevant certificate.
Indeed, DIY on iOS gadgets is never easy. It takes time to learn being skilled at it. You must have patience in uncovering complexities on repairing iPhone, iPad, and iPod units.
Have you noticed strangers parking their cars in front of your house and working on their computers, iPad, or iPhone? This could be a sign that they are piggy backing off your internet connection. It is indeed manna from heaven when an Internet addict suddenly discovers that there is an open and free Wi-Fi access in the local neighbourhood.
The Effects of Open Connection
Regardless of whether it is secured or not, the idea of connecting through a neighbour’s Wi-Fi connection is tantamount to stealing and can therefore be considered illegal. It is similar to a situation where the house next door left their door wide open. It is not a sign that you have the privilege to barge in without asking permission first or knocking before entering.
There are several potential hazards when people maintain Wi-Fi connections without protecting them. These include identity theft, access to confidential files, exposure to online threats, illegal downloading, and browsing forbidden sites.
Laws against Illegal Wi-Fi Connection
Fortunately, local states and the government are implementing laws and regulations to curb this situation. In the U.S., all 50 states have federal laws governing not only neighbourhood Wi-Fi, but all open access connections such as those found in cafes and other hotspots. In the United Kingdom, it is illegal to connect to an open Wi-Fi without permission. In both countries, a lot of people have been fined, put on probation, or have been ordered to render community service in violation of this rule.
How is it Implemented?
However, despite laws, illegal connections were still reported. There are situations wherein federal governments cannot impose a rigid implementation on this law unless those illegally piggy backing perform malicious activities like accessing private information and downloading copyrighted materials. And, most often too, homeowners do not realise that someone is tapping their connections unless they notice a reduction in Internet speed or they were reported for supposedly violating online laws.
In Germany, the situation is reversed. It is the owner who is fined when they leave their Wi-Fi connection open and it was utilised for illegal activities. The same situation happened in India, where violators were fined for not securing their own Internet after an open connection was accessed by a group of people and sent terror emails while piggy backing.
What’s the Solution?
Common sense dictates that it doesn’t take legal proceedings to determine if connecting to a neighbour’s Wi-Fi is illegal or not. It is akin to trespassing. Please secure your Wi-Fi home connections. It’s as simple as looking at your Wi-Fi instructions that came with the device. Most devices these days should by default be set to secured. However you should always check. If you look at your connection list of Wi-Fi devices around you when you go to connect and there is not a lock icon visible, or the connection doesn’t prompt your for a password then you have in open Wi-Fi connection.
Wi-Fi connections have become a staple in many commercial establishments. In fact, they proudly put a sticker on their door entrances proclaiming that their shop or store is a Wi-Fi hotspot. In other situations, especially around the neighbourhood, there are also unsecured connections which you can access without the owners knowing that you are connecting online using their Internet. The downside of course is that there is always that probability that your iPhone, iPad, or iPod might become compromised. Thus, you have to initiate protecting your gadgets from any forms of vulnerabilities it can be exposed to. Here are some ways to secure your iOS gadgets when connecting to public Wi-Fi connections:
- Do not assume that Wi-Fi connections in commercial establishments are secured. While it is mostly, there are other patrons who are malicious and have the capability to hack into your gadget to steal information about you. Thus, check if establishments have installed methods to determine if you are protected.
- Do not get excited when you discover that there are several open connections around your perimeter. It could be a trap for you to connect and allow hackers to penetrate your gadget to steal files or check on your messages and other confidential transactions performed on different apps through your device.
- Invest in your gadget. While there are plenty of free apps available out there, it is not an absolute protection. It is wrong to assume that paying for security software on your electronic gadget is an expense. Just think of the possible threats you can become exposed to when you constantly using public Wi-Fi connections. All the more for you to spend for paid security apps if your job entails you to keep sensitive and confidential data. You might want to provide your own plug-in device for your own Wi-Fi connections too.
- Not only do you have to invest money on virus protection (Avast is recommended) but you also need to perform virus checks from time to time. Your paid or free security apps may not be able to automatically detect threats and while a virus check is running.
- Be responsible and use common sense. When accessing social network pages, use sound judgment if you want to accept strangers as part of your friends loop, like a page you are requested to do so, or open emails which contain addresses you are not familiar with.
- Do not forget to turn on firewalls and regularly check if it is enabled just in case it is accidentally disabled.
These are just very easy and simple steps to protect yourself and all your personal content. Take note that it is your responsibility to secure your gadget. You cannot blame the owner of the Wi-Fi if you are compromised by connecting to their Wi-Fi connections.
Nowadays, it is popular to give children their own iPhone, iPod, and / or iPad. It has become a necessity considering that these are used as educational tools for learning. It is also an important tool to monitor them while they are away from home. But this initiative can expose them to unsafe and inappropriate content. Fortunately, there are several things that you can do as a parent to protect them from this content.
The online world has several recommendations and these are the very popular ones.
- Restrict access using a different brower other than the inbuilt Safari. One that has content filtering built it. Log in to iTunes and in the store search for and choose a safe browser. K9 Web Protection is an example. Download the alternate browser from iTunes and load it onto their gadgets for protection. Enable “restrictions” as your default position to ensure safe browsing. To do this, find the “Settings” icon, tap “General,” then choose “Restrictions,” and input a four digit password to enable the settings, and then disable the inbuilt Safari browser.
- Turn off browser installation. You need to do this so your children cannot install other browsers that can allow them to access unsafe contents. To do this, go to “Restrictions” and find off, then choose “Apps.” This will prevent them from installing alternative browsers unless of course they know the passwords you set. So be careful when choosing passwords. Do not use personal numbers such as birthdays, initials, or favourite expressions.
- Learn relevant ideas on management of iOS gadgets for kids. Some recommended ideas are:
- Do not allow children to create their own Apple ID.
- Do not let them set up their own configurations.
- Do not permit them to install their own apps.
- Do not forget to set up restrictions on content.
- Set a time allowance for usage to establish limits on access.
All these ideas can give them the impression that you are in control as a parent. But do not forget to explain why you are doing so.
- Physical engagement is a must. One of the reasons why children spend more time tapping and tinkering with their iOS gadgets is that they are bored. It is important that you engage with them and spend enough time communicating or spending activities outside of your home. This way, they will spend less time with their gadgets and engage in a fun and safe activity instead.
- Keep yourself updated. From time to time, Apple introduces new apps and ideas on child protection mechanisms so always check their site for updates.
What about Wi-Fi connections? Turning this off when you do not need it or when you want to set rules on Internet access is highly recommended. You can turn off password maintenance in their gadgets by tapping Network Settings and choose “Forget This Network.” However, this is not enough though; Wi-Fi connection is just an accessory when accessing sensitive materials. It is still best to turn off or remove apps which lead to explicit materials.
These ideas work for great for younger children but as they get older, you will need to release the control back to them and trust in their judgement. Then as a parent you can switch to a monitoring role, rather than a controlling one, which will be the subject of a future article.